Friday, August 13, 2010

God answers prayers

When drinking Savannah has always been great at latching on and Micah has always used a nipple shield. Whenever I took the shield away, Micah would cry and cry. I hated the shield because he gets less milk, it slips off, and it is just a pain to use. Well, one of my girl friends from church (who had twins) told me to just get rid of the shield and he would eventually learn how to latch.
So, I put the shield aways and crossed my fingers. It was so hard for me to watch Savannah latch right away and have Micah struggle. But he is a fighter and would try and try until he got his milk. He continued to take a while to latch but would always eventually get it. Well, last night I was awoken at an early morning time and went in to feed my babies. Savannah latched, drank, burped, and fell back to sleep, while Micah tried over and over again to latch. 30 minutes went by and he was still trying.
He was becoming so frustrated, and so was I. I didn't know what else I could do to help you latch. We were both so tired and you hungry.... I so bad wanted to run downstairs and make you a bottle of formula. But instead we headed over to the changing table. I changed your diaper and rubbed your belly. Then we said a prayer together. We asked God to help you latch. We told God that you were using all your energy trying and should be using it growing. We told God that you wanted to be a successful breast-feeder but you just needed a little help. We asked God for his help and then we closed our prayer.
We then sat down in the rocker together and situated ourselves. As I put you to my chest, you latched the first try. You drank and drank and have latched ever since.
I know God listened you our prayer and that he is aware of my little son. I thank Heavenly Father being a huge part in these babies lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment